Thursday, July 26, 2007

Malling

I found myself at SM Mall this lunch hour. I was there to pick up my new set of business cards only to be told that they were behind schedule and my cards were not yet ready.

In a blue funk, I walked off to the Exit Doors in a huff.

On the way out, I passed by the Butterbean Cookie Factory. I had never tried their cookies and brownies but today I thought, "What the heck, the oatmeal cookies should bring me out of my cranky mood." So i bought a couple of cookies and brownies to take home.

Just a few steps before the exits, I chanced by Brownies Unlimited and thought further, "Oh what the heck. I already bought Butterbean Cookies, might as well buy a few more from these guys."

So a sampler box with 6 varieties of brownies and a sambo and a sylvana were thrown in with my other purchases.


But when I got home, to my immense dismay, I found the cookies from Butterbean to be just way too sweet. Into the trash they went. Sorry Lord for wasting food.

By nature I am not fond of sweet stuff but can swallow tolerably sweet items. But those were just too much for me. Is this really how other people prefer their sweet levels? Maybe, i'm just out of touch :-(

The Brownies Unlimited experience was only a step better. Still way too sweet for my taste, the brownies were stale too but at least the sambo and the sylvana were not bad and were tolerably sweet.

Sylvanas are meringue sandwiched and coated with buttercream and rolled in cake crumbs. Sambos are the chocolate version.


In a refreshing departure from the usual, Brownies Unlimited made theirs with Italian Meringue making the balls soft and chewy.

A little difficult to eat while held with the warm fingers because Italian Meringue tends to melt and collapse on itself. But they were not bad when attacked with fork and knife.

Each was larger than a tennis ball and one serving is more than enough for one person.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the new blog... any idea where one finds a decent real pan de sal in Cebu these days?